The Artifice System – an overview
The Artifice System is a set of models and tools designed to specifically support psychological combat in an adversarial context. When you are facing an adversary or competitor it provides you with a means to:
- analyse and operationalise your mission goal and determine the desired target behaviour change in your target
- identify how you will assess whether your actions have worked
- conduct target audience analysis to identify vulnerabilities that can be exploited to bring about behaviour change in your target
- establish whether deception and covert influence is a necessary, legal, proportionate, and ethical means for achieving your operational goals
- plan your operational activity and present your ideas in an intellectually robust format
- graphically represent your plans to support the communication of your deceptive intent to others
- execute your plan within a broader operational context.
Artifice Six Block Model
A generic, transportable and scalable model for deception and influence
Specific applications of the Six Block Model
The 6BM can:
- be used to help structure thinking systematically about different kinds of influence and deception, and the effects they achieve
- provide a structure for analysing a target and discovering opportunities for influencing and deceiving them
- support the representation and analysis of retrospective or prospective cases of deceptive action.
- provide a structure for working through a series of considerations that underpin the design (and planning) of influence or deception activity
- provide an index to help sort different strategies that can be incorporated into a plan for fooling a target
- support the measurement of the effectiveness of your influence or deception course of action
- support a counter-deception critiquing process that aids the detection of deception used by an adversary against us.
Artifice Deception Gambits
Gambit: a device or action, typically one entailing a degree of risk, that is calculated to gain an advantage
The term ‘gambit’ is used as all deception involves risk, and using a deceptive strategy increases risk compared to not using a deceptive strategy.